What to do in Tabarca?

Tabarca Island has a total area of 30 ha, with a maximum length of 1800 m from NW to SE and a maximum width of 450 m. It presents an important narrowing in its western third, where the port and the two beaches are located. Its relief tends to the plane, with a maximum altitude of 15 meters. Near the main island are the islets of La Nao (Nau), La Galera and La Cantera. Other smaller rocks surround the island: l’Escull Roig, la Sabata, l’Escull Negre and Cap del Moro. The entire coast is rugged and in the southern part of the island's coastline is the Llop Marí cave. It lacks trees and the vegetation is scarce. The city is located in the western part of the island, geographically a small peninsula of it. In the eastern part there are only an old Civil Guard barracks that carried out radio telegraph missions, the San José tower, the lighthouse, the cemetery and some fields.

You will be able to enjoy the coves and beaches with transparent waters, with the possibility of tasting the traditional “Caldero”, as well as its great gastronomic offer.

It is recommended to walk through the urban center, visit the island museum and wonderful sea beds.

Staying on the island itself in the apartments, houses, hostels and hotels that exist on it.

The entire island was declared a Historic-Artistic Site on August 27, 1964.


Its perimeter is adapted to that of the island and it was built for the most part according to original plans. It is built in stone, with the exterior faces in ashlar masonry. There are sections of the wall that are very deteriorated and even crumbled over the sea, and the battlements have almost disappeared. However, since 1980 several reconstruction and rehabilitation works have been carried out.

Church of San Pedro and San Pablo

Church of San Pedro and San Pablo (Church of Sant Pere i Sant Pau) In 1769 there was already a small chapel, which was expanded into a church and was blessed in 1770. The current building is free, with a single nave and side chapels. Under its pavement there are three vaults with graves. It has two doors, one on the west façade and one on the south façade, where the NS axis begins, which initially led to the castle that was never built. Both the portico and the window openings are of Baroque inspiration, dominated by curves and warped surfaces. Adjacent to the church a building was built for the priest's house and schools.

Governor's House

Casa del Gobernador (Governor's House): As the castle was never built, the Governor's house was built on one side of the square, on top of the house that had been built for stables, in order to install “decent accommodation and interim that he has for the Governor and City Council ». Altogether it is a two-story building with a hipped roof. Part of the ground floor reflects the use of storage that was initially planned, especially the large open spaces, supported by the double intermediate arcade. It is now fully restored and houses a hotel.

San José tower

Torre de San José (Torre de Sant Josep): Its antecedents are in the constructions made in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries and it is located in the western third of the field. The current building, the work of Baltasar Ricoud, is shaped like a pyramidal trunk with a square plan and around it a moat was projected that was never built. The access door is located high above the ground, from where it can be accessed through a small staircase. Inside there is a square patio. The panels of the facades are smooth and the corners were provided with garitones that have disappeared when the building was abandoned. During the 19th century it was used as a state prison. On November 12, 1838, during the First Carlist War, 19 sergeants from the Carlist side were shot in this tower by order of the Board of Salvation and Defense of the Kingdom of Valencia (from the liberal side). In 1996 a commemorative plaque was installed in the citadel of Nueva Tabarca.


Lighthouse (Far): It was inaugurated in 1854, according to plans by Agustín Elcoro Berocíbar, and it is a large building that served as a school for lighthouse keepers. It is made up of a lower body with a cubic volume of two floors for housing. Above it stands the prismatic tower that supported the lighting mechanism, now dismantled. Stylistically it belongs to neoclassicism, although its chronology is somewhat late. In 1971 a new reinforced concrete lighthouse was built next to it, which was nevertheless demolished in 1998 to recover the original lighthouse.